Green tea should be a superfood, if it’s not already. (I’ll have to check the list for it.) I usually see this amazing tea on lists for weight loss “hacks”. I frown when I see that because green tea isn’t just good for weight loss. Green tea has a host of other benefits that go well beyond dropping a few pounds. There are numerous reasons to drink green tea and I’m not talking about the kind you can grab from your grocer’s refrigerator. I’m talking about brewing good ole’ fashioned tea leaves or bags.
Green tea, along with oolong and black teas, come from the Camellia sinensis plant. This makes green and black teas completely natural. Unfermented leaves make up this fabulous tea. Because of this, they contain the highest level of antioxidants. Antioxidants are important because studies show they may protect your cells against the effects of free radicals — molecules produced when your body breaks down food or is exposed to tobacco smoke and radiation. Free radicals may play a role in heart disease, cancer and other diseases.
Green Tea Benefits
- May Promote Weight Loss: According to some studies, consuming antioxidants help boost metabolism.
- Promotes Bone Health: In studies, exposure to catechins found in tea increased bone mineralization.
- Prevents Eye Disease: Consuming the catechins help protect the eyes from from oxidative damage and vision loss.
- Helps Protect Heart Health: Some evidence shows that green tea contains beta-blocking compounds.
- Help Improve Brain Function: In studies, both green and black teas prevented the breakdown of the neurotransmitter linked with memory.
In short, drinking black or green tea can help with your overall health. It’s important to stick to the brewed, herbal teas. Sure the cold, flavored tea from your grocery store tastes fruity. However, this option comes with unwanted calories and sugar. It’s okay to choose this every once in a while. But for your daily tea consumption, it’s best to stick to brewing your own tea at home. Go get yourself some tea leaves and start brewing!