Healthy eating is such a broad term and can be interpreted so many different ways. Regardless of your interpretation, healthy eating is frequently on our minds, especially this time of year. It can be overwhelming to start a fitness journey. We have so much information at our disposal. Information overload can sometimes cause you to give up. Or worse yet, the overwhelm can cause you to not even start. The keys to a successful fitness journey are small, consistent steps. It does nothing to eliminate gluten, dairy, and meat for one week only to go back to your original habits. It’s better to make small changes and actually stick to them.
If you’re wondering, “Where do I begin?”. Read on. Today, we’ll list ways to start (and maintain) a healthy eating habit. Couple healthy eating habits with a workout and you’ll be well on your way to your fitness goals. Keep in mind, it all takes time.
Healthy Eating Basics:
- Plan Ahead: Planning ahead is imperative. Doing so allows you to at least have an idea of what you’re going to eat. Writing down a list of your go-to meals helps keep you on the right track.
- Meal Prep: This one may seem time consuming while doing it, but it saves time overall. Take 1-2 hours one day per week to batch cook. For example, grill a package of chicken breasts, cook rice, and chop lettuce and other veggies for a meal that can be prepared in no time.
- Trash the Packaging: Keep pre-packaged foods to a minimum. The goal is to eliminate them altogether. Doing so, will not only help your waistline, but also your wallet.
- Read Labels: Focus on spotting artificial ingredients. Specifically look at the actual ingredient list. Don’t just rely on taglines that may entice with words such as fat-free or low-cal.
- Snack, Don’t Starve: Eat! Don’t assume that eating will help with weight loss. Have healthy snacks in between meals to keep that metabolism going.
Do you meal plan? How do you keep your healthy eating in check?