Sunlight is necessary for life. When it comes to sunshine, we often think it’s only necessary for plants to thrive. We fail to realize that we also need UV exposure. Between the ease of working from and daylight savings time ending, we tend to miss out on those precious hours of sunlight. This time of year, we have to make a concerted effort to relish in the sunlight. It’s common to leave the house when it’s dark and not leave the office until it’s dark. This makes it easy to forego the necessary exposure to sunshine.
Darkness and sunlight are both necessary for hormone production: melatonin and serotonin. Melatonin helps maintain the body’s circadian rhythm and plays a pivotal role when it’s time to go to sleep. Serotonin, on the other hand, helps with boosting moods and to help us feel focused and calm.
Benefits of Sunlight
As long as we don’t over do it, exposure to sunlight has many benefits. These range from clearing skin disorders to decreasing depression.
- Clearing Skin: Regular exposure to sunshine helps to clear skin conditions such as psoriasis, eczema, jaundice, and acne.
- Strengthen Bones: Sunlight exposure helps produce Vitamin D, resulting in stronger bones.
- Immune Booster: White blood cells, which play a major role in fighting infection, increase with regular exposure to sunlight.
- Improved Moods: The increased production of Vitamin D due to sun exposure helps to reduce depression.
- Fights Bacteria: Regular sunshine exposure helps kill bacteria on the skin.
I’ve been lucky enough to be living in the Florida since July. In an effort to show gratitude for my blessings, I’ve been making it a point to get out daily and hit the beach and soak up some rays. Obviously not everyone can get to the beach daily. But there are other ways to soak up the rays and reap those benefits. If you’re not able to get out during the daylight hours, you can try a light box. Another idea is to get out during lunch. Even a few minutes in the natural sunlight helps.
How do you get make sure you’re getting exposure to sunshine each day?