Action = planning. There’s no way around it. We’re all familiar with Nike’s slogan, Just Do It! Determined action, however, requires a bit of planning. Even though planning is equally as important as planning, it’s crucial that planning not substitute action. My word this year, is ACTION!!
It’s easy to get so caught up in planning, researching, and scheduling that no action ever takes place. Some call it analysis paralysis. I like to call it procrastination. A lot of times we procrastinate due to fear. It can be fear of the activity itself or fear of the results that said activity will bring about. I’ve been guilty of this type of procrastination for way too long. That’s how ACTION became my word for 2017.
Taking action can seem difficult. It’s easy to get caught up in the “what if’s” and the possibility that something negative may happen. Instead of focusing on that, we should focus on the greatness that will come from taking action.
How To Take Effective Action
- Meditate: When we meditate, we give our minds a break. By stopping the thinking process, we begin to let go of the fear.
- ‘Rationalize’ Fear: It’s important to rationalize WHY we’re afraid. Once we dig deep and analyze the fear, we discover that there is no reasoning behind it. Regardless of what happens, you’ll still be around another day to fix whatever “may” happen.
- WHY: Remind yourself of why you’d like to do what you’ve been planning. Keep your why at the forefront and never become paralyzed by fear again. If that doesn’t do it, perhaps you’ll need a bigger reason.
- Failure: It’s important to understand that you will fail. So if you’re going to fail, you might as well fail quickly. The sooner you take action, the sooner you’ll get that failure out of the way.
- Learn: You won’t be able to learn from your mistakes if you don’t make any. By taking action, you’ll learn what needs to be tweaked.
- Consistency: It’s important to take consistent action. Working towards your goal for a thirty minutes a day will yield more results than working once a month for 20 hours.
Are you ready to take action??? I am!!!
What will you do tomorrow to work towards your goal???